Wednesday, May 7, 2014

blueberry muffins

I have been on the look out for a healthier muffin recipe that I could make for breakfast for my kiddos and came across a whole wheat strawberry muffin recipe on pinterest, find it here. I thought I would take a shot at it Saturday morning before the kids got up. Well, my little girl was already wide awake so I enlisted her services to stir as I added ingredients to the mixing bowl. She did a fantastic job!  

This was a last minute decision so the first issue I ran into was the small, insignificant fact that I didn't have strawberries or strawberry yogurt. Hmm. I had to improvise with what I had so I made blueberry muffins, which turned out wonderful. I will say, while I think they are delicious because I do not particularly like sweet muffins, Husband did think they were a little bland.

Whole Wheat Strawberry Blueberry Muffins
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs
5 ounces blueberry yogurt ( my little container was 5 oz and it worked fine)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla (I added more because i love vanilla)
3/4 cup of small frozen blueberries


DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 400*. Line muffin pan with wrappers and slightly grease.
2. in a large bowl combine both cups of flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Stir until well mixed. 
3. In another bowl whisk eggs, yogurt, vanilla, brown sugar, and butter. 
4. Combine both bowls together and stir until combined. 
5. Fold in blueberries. 
6. Scoop batter into muffin tray. 
7. Bake for 12-15 minutes.  

Enjoy!  I froze the rest so we will have them ready to go in a pinch in the future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment